On Xenial the patch serves its intended purpose. I built IBus for Xenial
with ubuntu-disable-trigger.patch disabled and then installed. That made
the UI component show up for setting shortcut for "Next input method".
It defaults to <Super>Space, but changing it to e.g. <Alt>Space affects
this dconf value:

$ gsettings get org.freedesktop.ibus.general.hotkey triggers
['<Alt>space']

But on Unity that shortcut is not effective. It's overridden by the
shortcut set in Text Entry:

$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-input-source
['<Super>space']

So it's indeed a dead-end for users who happen to play with ibus-setup.

OTOH, that UI component is shown on GNOME too, and it's just as much a
dead-end there. If we think the issue is important enough, we should
figure out a smarter way to hide that UI component IMO. Also on GNOME.
And preferably upstream.

Let's drop the patch.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ibus in Ubuntu.

  ubuntu-disable-trigger.patch is effectively not enabled

Status in Unity:
  New
Status in ibus package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  ubuntu-disable-trigger.patch has effectively not been enabled since
  XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP was turned into a list of values instead of a
  single value.