Public bug reported:

This is something we might want to fix to help people who build snaps
based on Focal's Qt.

The QGenericUnixServices implementation of openUrl() passes an O_PATH
file descriptor to xdg-desktop-portal when it detects it is running
under snap confinement.  This is rejected because xdg-desktop-portal
expects an O_RDONLY file descriptor, leading to the operation failing.
More details are available in the upstream bug report I filed:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-83939

This originated from a report on the Snapcraft forum here:

https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/xdg-open-or-gvfs-open-qdesktopservices-
openurl-file-somelocation-file-txt-wont-open-the-file/16824?u=jamesh

** Affects: qtbase-opensource-src (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to qtbase-opensource-src in

  QDesktopServices::openUrl() fails when called on local files from
  within a snap

Status in qtbase-opensource-src package in Ubuntu: