Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. However, I am closing it because the bug has been fixed
in the current version of Ubuntu.

This is a significant bug in Ubuntu. If you need a fix for the bug in
previous versions of Ubuntu, please perform as much as possible of the
SRU Procedure [1] to bring the need to a developer's attention.

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Procedure

** Changed in: logrotate (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to logrotate in Ubuntu.

  [needs-packaging] logrotate -v error compressing - add logrotate 3.14
  to bionic (18.04)

Status in logrotate package in Ubuntu:

  Hi Guys,

  currently Logrotate 3.11 is shipped with bionic 18.04.

  logrotate -v /etc/logrotate.conf prints error messages like

  ```
  compressing log with: /bin/gzip
  error: Compressing program wrote following message to stderr when compressing
log /var/log/auth.log-20190716:
  switching uid to 0 and gid to 109
  ```

  This is fixed in version 3.14

  Source:
https://github.com/logrotate/logrotate/blob/3.15.0/ChangeLog.md#3140---2018-03-09

  Please add 3.14 to bionic (18.04).

  If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

  Cheers Tim