This fixed my problem:

sudo apt purge linux-image-4.15.0-99-generic

from:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1207958/error-24-write-error-cannot-write-compressed-block

Usually if it's a freespace thing, I'll get a popup about /boot not
having enough space. That happened during upgrade process, but I wasn't
able to purge old space, and it hasn't happened since finishing the
upgrade.

There is usually enough space for the current and previous kernel in
/boot as well.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  Upgrade to 20.04 LTS errors - mkinitramfs failure cpio

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:

  At the end of the upgrade process to 20.04 I got a message about
  mkinitramfs. It said I should consider submitting a bug.

  Now after a re-boot I get:

  $ sudo apt install -f
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  1 not fully installed or removed.
  After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
  Setting up initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu6) ...
  update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
  Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu6) ...
  update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-28-generic
  Error 24 : Write error : cannot write compressed block
  E: mkinitramfs failure cpio 141 lz4 -9 -l 24
  update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-28-generic with 1.
  dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
   installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess
returned erro
  r exit status 1
   initramfs-tools

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      20.04

  $ apt-cache policy initramfs-tools
  initramfs-tools:
    Installed: 0.136ubuntu6
    Candidate: 0.136ubuntu6
    Version table:
   *** 0.136ubuntu6 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Package: initramfs-tools 0.136ubuntu6
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun May  3 02:11:32 2020
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: initramfs-tools
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-05-03 (0 days ago)