My bug seems to be very similar to:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-sputnik/+bug/1651635?comments=all

at least in terms of perceptible problems.

1. Occasionally, some type of interaction with the touchpad puts it into a mode
where it barely works.  Seems it gets stuck in "scroll mode" or something
similar.
2. Happens a couple times a week.
3. In my case, it seems to happen by brushing my left palm in the upper left
corner of the touchpad.
4. Symptom: gliding my finger across the touchpad like normal does not work.
The middle and right side of the touchpad seem to be in scroll mode, i.e. I can
scroll a browser window up & down but I can't move the pointer around.  If I
use the upper and left borders, the pointer seems to work as normal.  Physical
clicking works, right click in the lower right quadrant doesn't work.  It's
almost like the middle and right side of the touchpad are operating as if every
touch is a two finger touch.
5. In the past, it seemed as if nothing but a restart would get it out of this
mode.  However, while filing this bug report, I just realized that repeated two
finger scrolls in the middle of the touchpad seemed to unlock it from scroll
mode.  Then again, this could be a fluke of time or something, since I usually
restart before I let the problem go on this long.  I'll test more and report
back here the next time it happens.

Happy to run commands to help troubleshoot.

Package: xorg 1:7.7+19ubuntu14
NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27
Architecture: amd64
CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
CompositorRunning: None