[Expired for alsa-driver (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for
60 days.]

** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Lucid hard crash with usb web cam and VMWare

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  For reference I'm using VMWare Workstation 7.1.3 build-324285 and
  Ubuntu 10.04 with a Logitech QuickCam 9000 USB Webcam.

  I'm not sure if this is a bug with VMware or Ubuntu. In any event its
  clear that they DO NOT play well together when using Logitech 9000
  USB. For example, when starting a Windows XP session in VMWare
  everything works fine until I attempt to connect the USB webcam to the
  virtual machine. At that point, the whole system - including VMware
  guest and the Ubuntu host! The freeze is hard with lockout on
  keyboard, mouse, and network so the only recourse is to power cycle
  the machine.

  I have done some research on this issue before posting this bug
  report. You will find two workarounds here:

  http://communities.vmware.com/thread/257460

  The key point here is that the snd_usb_audio module is the culprit. I
  have confirmed that both workarounds discussed above solve the crash
  problem. Unfortunately, neither is a completely acceptable solution.
  Option 1 leaves open the chance for a hard freeze if one isn't very
  careful with enabling/disabling the USB audio device in Sound
  preferences. Option 2 disables all USB audio on the host which isn't
  very helpful if one wants to use the webcam directly on the Ubuntu
  host!

  I'm reporting this bug here in hopes that if it is a bug on the Ubuntu
  side that it will be pushed upstream to the appropriate team. I will
  also submit a bug report to VMware on the chance that it is in their
  court. Perhaps someone from the Ubuntu developer side could contact
  VMWare tech support and have a faster chance of resolving the problem?

  In terms of triage I would rate this bug serious since it results in
  hard freeze which as we all know can cause system damage and loss of
  data.

  Lastly, even though this may indeed be a VMWare issue, I would hope
  folks on the Ubuntu team will still help resolve the issue as it is
  technologies such as VMware that enable people to migrate away from
  the dominant OS and onto Ubuntu.

  Thanks and best wishes!

  John