This issue has sat incomplete for more than 60 days now. I'm going to
close it as invalid. Please feel free re-open if this is still an issue
for you. Thank you.

** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Problems with audio during the execution of audio test in "System
  Testing" application in xubuntu 9.10

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  When I start System Settings application, the first test goes wrong and I was
unable to hear any sound.
  My system is a IBM thinkpad R40 with Karmic Xubuntu ( 9.10 ).
  I hear pidgin sound and others but no login - startup sound.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  riccardo   1510 F.... xfce4-mixer-plu
                        riccardo   1539 F.... xfce4-volumed
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'I82801DBICH4'/'Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981B at irq 11'
     Mixer name : 'Analog Devices AD1981B'
     Components : 'AC97a:41445374'
     Controls      : 26
     Simple ctrls  : 18
  CheckboxCommand: alsa_record_playback
  CheckboxDescription:
   Pair a Bluetooth headset with your system.  Then open the volume control
application by right-clicking on the speaker icon in the panel and selecting
"Sound Preferences".  Select the "Input" tab and choose your Bluetooth device.
Select the "Output" tab and choose your Bluetooth device.  When you are done,
click the Test button, then speak into the microphone. After a few seconds,
your speech will be played back to you.

   Did you hear your speech played back?
  CheckboxTest: alsa_record_playback_bluetooth