Like Elias M Ward, I installed lamp-server using taskel. It didn't work
as expected and upon uninstalling, taskel removed everything. I came
back to my desk, and the system was shot. No network, no desktop,
nothing. Luckily, this was a fresh install, so a reinstall was the
quickest way to get a usable system.

Very, very poorly thought out.

Ten years later? Wow.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  tasksel: forcefully removes packages when tasks overlap

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in tasksel package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in tasksel package in Debian:

  TEST CASE

  1. Boot Lucid LiveCD

  2. run "sudo tasksel" and select "virtual machine host"

  3. run "sudo tasksel" and deselect "virtual machine host"

  4. watch how tasksel uninstalls your system

  OBSERVATIONS

  What seems to happen is that apt vengefully removes ALL of the items
  associated with one task, including several base dependencies of other
  tasks (e.g. ubuntu-desktop)

  One illustrative example is the openssh-server task:
  This one includes the packages openssh-server, tcpd and libwrap0.
  From a normal ubuntu-desktop (e.g. ~liveCD) both tcpd and libwrap0 are
already installed, and the task-install pulls in only openssh-server.
  However when the task is removed, all these three packages (openssh-server,
tcpd and libwrap0) are forcefully removed.
  Since libwrap0 is a core dependency of gnome, a large part of gnome will be
removed alongside the removal of the task.