Update. I reinstalled my laptop from bare metal.'

Installing audacity from "Ubuntu Software" (which I assume is a snap?)
now allows me to access my microphone.

But I cannot save files from audacity to external drives, trying to
access /media gives "Permission Denied" even though the file browser can
access the files.

** Package changed: ubuntu => apparmor (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apparmor in Ubuntu.

  USB Mic (Blue Yeti) not detcted in Audacity or Ardour

Status in apparmor package in Ubuntu:

  I recently upgraded my laptop to Ubuntu 20.04 (from 19.10), which I
  use for recording podcasts using Audacity.

  The Sound Settings allow me to select the Yeti, and the monitor
  graphic shows lots of activity when I scratch the mic with my nails.

  Since the upgrade Audacity will only record from the built in mic.
  It's not available as a recording input at all, and selecting
  "default" (which is what I usually do) uses the inbuilt mic.
  Regardless of what the Sound Settings have selected.

  I tried Ardour and I could only get it to record using the built in
  mic. While I can select the Yeti when I start the app, I can't get it
  to actually register that any sound is coming in at all.

  I tried gnome-sound-recorder, which recorded audio from the Yeti
  without any issues. Unfortunately it's doesn't have any of the
  features I need.

  arecord also works with issue.

  I'm kinda going insane here, I've never had any issues like this
  before, but it suddenly seems that any halfway decent recording apps
  just don't want to talk to the Yeti.

  Is there something I'm missing, has something changed in how 20.04
  handles sound devices now? Is there anything I can do to trouble shoot
  this?