I'm trying[1] to back this out, but it will remove symbols from the
library without bumping the soname. Our next chance is when openldap 2.5
comes out, which will likely bump the soname.

1.
https://code.launchpad.net/~ahasenack/ubuntu/+source/openldap/+git/openldap/+merge/383797

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openldap in Ubuntu.

  Enable GSSAPI support (for likewise-open)

Status in openldap package in Ubuntu:

  Proposed patch does two things:

  (a) Adds the --with-gssapi autoconf option necessary to
  enable code in libraries/libldap/gssapi.c (i.e #define HAVE_GSSAPI).
  This option was present in 2.4.16 from what I can tell but is not in the
2.4.18 code in
  lucid.

  (b) Makes guess_service_principal() more robust when trying
  to determine what principal name to use (based on the hostname
  or dns name) when binding to a server.