I still see this in 20.04

  extra domains not removed from resolv.conf when VPN disconnects

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I use a VPN (network manager "vpnc" config) to connect to my work
  network.  The gateway is "webvpn.purestorage.com".  When I connect, I
  get "purestorage.com" added to the "search" line in my
  /etc/resolv.conf (and /run/resolvconf/interface/systemd-resolved) -
  which makes perfect sense, the VPN passes this info to me and then I
  can connect to systems within the work network without having to use a
  FQDN.

  The bug (which is a regression from older versions of Ubuntu) is that
  when I lose my connection to the VPN (either because I disconnect
  explicitly, or because the network goes down or I suspend my laptop),
  the "purestorage.com" domain is not removed from those "search" lines.
  And for some reason this prevents me from resolving
  webvpn.purestorage.com (which prevents me from reconnecting to the
  VPN).

  In particular, if I connect and disconnect my VPN, I get:

   $ systemd-resolve webvpn.purestorage.com
  webvpn.purestorage.com: resolve call failed: No appropriate name servers or
networks for name found

  If I then edit /etc/resolv.conf by hand to remove all the
  purestorage.com entries from the search line - in other words, change

   $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
  # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
  #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
  # 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
  # run "systemd-resolve --status" to see details about the actual nameservers.

  nameserver 127.0.0.53
  search home.digitalvampire.org purestorage.com dev.purestorage.com

   $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
  # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
  #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
  # 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
  # run "systemd-resolve --status" to see details about the actual nameservers.

  nameserver 127.0.0.53
  search home.digitalvampire.org

  and change nothing else, then:

   $ systemd-resolve webvpn.purestorage.com
  webvpn.purestorage.com: 192.30.189.1
                          (vpn.purestorage.com)

  -- Information acquired via protocol DNS in 25.9ms.
  -- Data is authenticated: no

  I'm not sure if the bug is in systemd, network manager, or some other
package, but I'm happy to try any debugging that is helpful to resolve this (no
pun intended).

  Package: systemd 234-2ubuntu10
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64