Is there an updated target release for the ability to describe
configuration for an interface (such as name) but leave the interface
down at boot?

  No distinction between link-up and link-down interfaces

Status in MAAS:
  Triaged
Status in netplan:
  In Progress
Status in netplan.io package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in netplan.io source package in Xenial:
  Won't Fix
Status in systemd source package in Xenial:
  Won't Fix
Status in netplan.io source package in Zesty:
  Won't Fix
Status in systemd source package in Zesty:
  Won't Fix
Status in netplan.io source package in Artful:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  Users need to write valid configuration, especially for new features that are
approved by not yet implemented, such as marking a link "optional".

  [Test case]
  Write a netplan configuration:

  network:
    version: 2
    renderer: networkd
    ethernets:
      eth0:
        optional: yes
        dhcp4: yes

  And run 'netplan apply'. Netplan should write configuration for the
  link and not error out with a syntax error.

  [Regression potential]
  This has a minimal potential for regression: the new keyword was added to be
supported already by consumers of netplan (users, cloud-init) so that they
could start writing config with the new key and that configuration to be seen
as valid by netplan before the backend is implemented. There is no functional
change besides allowing for the value to exist in a netplan configuation.

  ---

  If I define an interface in netplan (even one which has no DHCP type
  and no addresses), it's not possible to determine if its adminStatus
  should be enabled (link up) or disabled (link down).

  I can completely exclude an interface from the netplan configuration,
  but I think that implies that not only its adminStatus is "disabled"
  by default, but also netplan will not be able to do anything "nice"
  for the interface, such as rename it to what the user specified in
  MAAS.

  If I include the interface but don't specify any addresses or DHCP, it
  isn't clear if it will be link up (my current assumption) or link
  down.

  There should be a way to allow an interface to be recognized by
  netplan (and even partially configured, waiting for the user to run
  something like 'ifup <interface>' on a manual but not auto-started
  interface in ifupdown), but marked administratively disabled.
  (adminStatus down)