Ubuntu 12.04 reached end of life. Do you still have this issue with a
newer version?

** Changed in: iptables (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to iptables in Ubuntu.

  iptables -j LOG fails on 12.04 kernel 3.4.4-guest

Status in iptables package in Ubuntu:

  iptables was working fine until I did an upgrade to a new kernel
  version.  Now it is impossible to load my firewall rules using
  iptables-restore.  The iptables-restore program croaks when trying to
  load the rules.

  While the error is reported on the line associated with the "COMMIT"
  statement, it appears that it is really failing when the "-j LOG"
  option is used.  If I eliminate the "-j LOG" option on statements, it
  seems to work normally (like it did before).

  When I run lsmod, there is no "xt_LOG" or "ipt_LOG" module present. I
  cannot find the "xt_LOG.ko" or "ipt_LOG.ko" file anyplace, so I cannot
  load them manually.

  Not sure if this is a kernel bug or an iptables bug, but since it
  makes it impossible to load my firewall rules and leaves my system
  wide open, it's definitely a security issue.

  Release:        12.04
  iptables:
    Installed: 1.4.12-1ubuntu5
    Candidate: 1.4.12-1ubuntu5