** Also affects: ubuntu-z-systems

** Tags added: reverse-proxy-bugzilla s390x

** Changed in: ubuntu-z-systems

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to make-dfsg in Ubuntu.

  posix_spawn usage in gnu make causes failures on s390x

Status in Ubuntu on IBM z Systems:
  New
Status in glibc package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in make-dfsg package in Ubuntu:

  posix_spawn usage in gnu make causes failures on s390x

  Recently in gnu-make v4.3 https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/tYhbJFKN76/ it
  started to use posix_spawn, instead of fork()/exec().

  This has caused failure of an unrelated package flatpak-builder
  autopkgtests on s390x only, like so

    echo Building
    make: echo: Operation not permitted
    make: *** [Makefile:2: all] Error 127

  Julian Klaude investigated this in-depth. His earlier research also
  indicated that this is a heisenbug, if one tries to print to stderr
  before printing to stdout, no issue occurs.

  We are configuring GNU make to be build with --disable-posix-spawn on
  s390x only. We passed these details to Debian https://bugs.debian.org
  /cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=964541 too.

  But I do wonder, if there is something different or incorrect about
  posix_spawn() implementation in either glibc, or linux kernel, on
  s390x. Or gnu-make's usage of posix_spawn().

  As otherise, using posix_spawn() in gnu-make works on other
  architectures, and flatpak-builder autopkgtests pass too.

  It seems very weird that stdout does not appear to be functional,
  unless stderr was opened/written to, from gnu-make execution compiled
  with posix-spawn feature.