https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/your-personal-information-concerns/

To: ICO

Dear Information Commissioner’s Office,

I confirm that I want to proceed with the creation of the case about
Canonical's motd-news as Canonical don't want to remediate the privacy
issue of sending by default hardware details and public IP of all
Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server twice a day, every day of the year.

Next to this message, you will find the final answer from Canonical.

https://ubuntu.com/legal/motd

The following are my comments on their legal information.

"The purpose of sending the system information is so that Canonical can
tailor the message returned by https://motd.canonical.com.";

This is wrong motd.canonical.com does not exist and is part of motd-news.
The server used by Ubuntu is https://motd.ubuntu.com

lynx -mime_header https://motd.canonical.com

Looking up motd.canonical.com
Unable to locate remote host motd.canonical.com.
Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.

The evidence is part of the Ticket
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/487032881/ubuntu-desktop-2004-motd-news.png

"None of this data can be used to identify a machine or user."

"Along with this data, the IP address and other network information is
transmitted to facilitate communication on the internet from the Ubuntu
machine to Canonical. This information is not stored by Canonical."

This is wrong as Canonical is using Apache and the default is to store
IP address in the access log

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/logs.html

Common Log Format

(%h)
 This is the IP address of the client (remote host) which
made the request to the server. If HostnameLookups is set to On, then the
server will try to determine the hostname and log it in place of the IP
address. However, this configuration is not recommended since it can
significantly slow the server. Instead, it is best to use a log post-processor
such as logresolve to determine the hostnames. The IP address reported here is
not necessarily the address of the machine at which the user is sitting. If a
proxy server exists between the user and the server, this address will be the
address of the proxy, rather than the originating machine.

lynx -mime_header https://motd.ubuntu.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK