As of today I have the same problem (which I had solved with #17). #17 does no
longer seem to work.
My laptop is a HP pavilion 14-ce3035nl, linux version ubuntu 20.04 (focal),
with all updates.
I have a dual boot, the sound in Windows works fine.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Crackling and popping sound when using headphones

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in alsa-driver package in Arch Linux:
  New
Status in Fedora:

  Laptop is  HP Pavilion - 15-au118tx. The laptop has B and O play and
  the output from speakers are just fine, when using headphones there is
  some kind of crackling and popping sound in both ears but prominently
  in the left ear.

  The issue happens only when the sound is played, if i reduce the PCM
  way low using alsamixer, the effect is minimized but the volume is
  also reduced. Increasing the volume in the panel increases the PCM as
  well.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  antony     1719 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Wed Dec  7 23:30:05 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64 (20161012.2)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:PCH failed
  Symptom_Card: Built-in Audio - HDA Intel PCH
  Symptom_Jack: Black Headphone Out, Left
  Symptom_Type: Digital clip or distortion, or "overdriven" sound
  Title: [HP Pavilion Notebook, Realtek ALC295, Black Headphone Out, Left]
Sound is distorted
  dmi.bios.date: 07/19/2016
  dmi.bios.vendor: Insyde
  dmi.bios.version: F.14
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Type2 - Board Asset Tag
  dmi.board.name: 8216
  dmi.board.vendor: HP
  dmi.board.version: 83.13
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: HP
  dmi.chassis.version: Chassis Version
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnInsyde:bvrF.14:bd07/19/2016:svnHP:pnHPPavilionNotebook:pvrType1ProductConfigId:rvnHP:rn8216:rvr83.13:cvnHP:ct10:cvrChassisVersion:
  dmi.product.name: HP Pavilion Notebook
  dmi.product.version: Type1ProductConfigId
  dmi.sys.vendor: HP
  mtime.conffile..etc.modprobe.d.alsa-base.conf: 2016-12-07T23:12:52.939689