Hi Christian,

Thanks for your reply (and for the links).  I agree that a configurable
option coming from upstream would be the preferred option.  I'll submit
a bug upstream accordingly and note the ID here.

I note there's a patch referenced in the openssh mailing list link,
unfortunately the link is a 404 - I'll see if I can track it down via
other means.  On this topic, we've been using ssh on scientific linux
for a number of years now and that is patched to use the default ccache
name.  It would be interesting to see if it's the same or similar as the
404 patch above.

Depending on the outcome of my upstream bug report, I'll see if I can
port any patches we use to the current ubuntu/upstream code base.

As to your final question re: regression - I don't think so, looking at
the code, but we are only now in the process of converting desktop
machines to ubuntu.

Cheers
Toby

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssh in Ubuntu.

  ssh using gssapi will enforce FILE: credentials cache

Status in openssh package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  ssh connections from a client with the following in ssh_config...

  GSSAPIAuthentication yes
  GSSAPIDelegateCredentials yes

  ... to an ubuntu 20.04 machine result in KRB5CCNAME being set to
  'FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_[uid]_[random]' despite the following in
  /etc/krb5.conf:

  [libdefaults]
   default_ccache_name = KEYRING:persistent:%{uid}

  This means that we cannot enforce a policy to use KEYRING ccaches
  across our systems.  Authentications which go via the pam stack (e.g.
  login to the machine at the console or over ssh using a password) can
  be configured to use a KEYRING ccache, via libpam-krb5 settings in
  /etc/krb5.conf.

  The FILE: setting seems to be hard-coded in the openssh code (auth-
  krb5.c).  It would be great if ssh(gssapi-with-mic) connections either
  (a) set KRB5CCNAME to the default_ccache_name value, if set in
  /etc/krb5.conf, or (b) didn't set KRB5CCNAME at all, so the system
  default is used.

  Many thanks
  Toby Blake
  School of Informatics