Running Xubuntu 16.04.3, with udev version 229-4ubuntu21.1.

Every time I install the plexmediaserver package, no matter with what
mechanism, my X server crashes out completely, taking all my running
applications with it.

I traced it to a postinst script call to `udevadm trigger`.  Running
that one command manually will instantly kill the X server every time.

In looking at the logs, there's a segfault in radeon_drv.o that's
clearly the end of the X server.  syslog contains a set of messages
about Ethernet interfaces "changed", then a cluster of messages about
how various disk devices (/dev/sdX) appear twice with different sysfs
paths, and then suddenly xfce4 is logging about how the X server just
vanished.

A mess of UPower[d] messages show up in the log as well, but shutting
down upowerd before running another test yields no change, so it's not
responsible for this.

Whatever udev is doing to the X server is giving it a very bad day.
This makes it impractical for me to upgrade plex very frequently at all,
since my machine runs 24/7.  However, I'm having so many problems with
Plex right now that I'll be investigating other solutions anyway...

** Affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

udevadm trigger kills X server
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1748698
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Touch
seeded packages, which is subscribed to systemd in Ubuntu.