rob@DesktopUbuntu:~$ lsb_release -rd
Release:        14.04

Ubuntu Software Center 13.10  (XUbuntu)

I have had a problem with connecting my phone as a memory/disk device on
Ubuntu 14.04 and found the same with a live install of 15.04. I recently
bought an expensive 3-D Robox-CEL printer and was also experiencing no
joy at all with extremely flaky connections.  Fortunately one of the
engineers at Robox-CEL published a patch to the udev .rules files and
this cured the 3-D Printer connections and when I applied the same to
the mobile phone .rules file it has been reliable as well.  His
assertion was the later Linux's (I am not sure how wide he sees this
problem here) have some sort of 'improvement' that interrogates the USB
devices and in my case these two devices don't work with this new
'feature' and are extremely flaky.

Here are the two new .rules I have added, that work for me

# Samsung
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="685b", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="685b",
GROUP="plugdev", NAME="GalaxySII", MODE="0666", OWNER="<username>"

#Robox Rules to stop the Linux sending disruptive commands to the 3D-Printer
ATTRS{idVendor}=="16d0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="081b", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
#Establish a standard name for the Robox tty interface
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="16d0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="081b",
SYMLINK="robox%n", MODE="0666"

The first line in the .rules is the really critical one.

This has been a huge problem for me, and I registering it as a 'bug' as
I believe the OS should be a bit more clever with these devices and
should not require this sort of user work-around.  Over the last two
years my phone went from super reliable to unusable, wasting huge
amounts of my time, and recently made my 14 day old 3-D Printer from a
quality manufacturer useless.

Thank you for your time and patience. I can send you a log of the
transactions of the Robox machine's interactions with the USB port if
you need them.  However the above two files should give a good lead on
where I feel the problems lie.

Cheers, Rob Ward

PS The Robox people also altered the shell script in their software to
look for the newly named 'robox0' connection.

** Affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bot-comment
--
Connecting USB devices failing