I have also submitted https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-
bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=968584 upstream

** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #968584

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to vim in Ubuntu.

  vim is dependent on libcanberra0 in Ubuntu 20.04, had no such
  dependency in Ubuntu 18.04

Status in vim package in Ubuntu:

  which pulls in libasound and some alsa packages which I am not sure why it is
useful and desired on most text-only/headless systems.
  In Debian I also see this dependency arisen with Bullseye/testing and
Sid/unstable (but not with Buster/stable) but I don't see any mention of this
introduction and its usefulness in the package's changelog. Could the reason of
this dependency creation please be investigated, its usefulness evaluated, and
if possible, this dependency to be made optional for vim builds ? Surprisingly,
installing vim-nox also pulls in libcanberra0. vim-tiny does not pull in
libcanberra0, but it also does not have syntax highlighting. What should I do
to have syntax highlighting without libcanberra0 overhead ?