disk space is cheap → this becomes an infuriating answer. Is cheap where ? For
who ?
Whatever price it is, one might want to use it for something else than log ( on
a desktop pc ).

Here
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+question/691873 is
another example of what may happen. Less than 4GB but above 10% of
remaining space. This led to system complaining about storage.

Shouldn't this « journal » be set by default to free space automatically
on desktop computer ?

  systemd journals take up a lot of space, and it's not obvious how much
  is used, and what the upper limit is.

Status in systemd:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  After running Bionic for 3 months, I had 2.6 GB of journals.

  I would not expect from a normal desktop user that they should have to
  run commands like `sudo journalctl --vacuum-time=10d`.

  I would nominate this command as a sane default to have running at
  each reboot to ensure that logs do not exceed 500 MB:

  sudo journalctl --vacuum-size=500M

  Supposedly, a server should by default retain more logs, so perhaps
  this should be implemented through a configuration package "systemd-
  configuration-desktop" as a dependency of the ubuntu-desktop meta
  package?

  ..... as it turns out, it's hard to see how much disk space is used, and what
the upper limit is, even when it is set and respected by default.