On Friday, September 04 2020, Christian Ehrhardt  wrote:

> Thanks for --no-ask-password Sergio.
>
> I like the suggestion of making /etc/resolvconf/update-libc.d/squid systemd
> aware.
>>From similar checks I know that you also want to check if it is active:
>
> if [ -d /run/systemd/system ]; then
> ! systemctl is-active -q squid.service || systemctl reload squid.service
> >/dev/null
>
> The above is untested, but you get my point - don't reload if it isn't
> active.

Thanks, Christian.  Good point about checking whether the service is
active; I'll incorporate that into the solution.

I'll prepare an MP soon, then.

Cheers,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: E92F D0B3 6B14 F1F4 D8E0  EB2F 106D A1C8 C3CB BF14

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dnsmasq in Ubuntu.

  dnsmasq starts with error on Ubuntu Xenial amd64 when squid installed

Status in dnsmasq package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in squid package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in dnsmasq source package in Xenial:
  Confirmed
Status in squid source package in Xenial:

  Setup to reproduce:

  Ubuntu Xenial amd64 net install iso from
  http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial/main/installer-
  amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

  Install system with mostly defaults + LVM + OpenSSH server

  Note that this bug applies to both DHCP and static IP+DNS network
  configurations

  Once server rebooted and is available, log in and install dnsmasq + squid:
  apt-get update && apt-get install squid dnsmasq

  output of this can be found at https://pastebin.com/9Atuipju
  journalctl -xe output at https://pastebin.com/uLhfM4jN

  Furthermore at this point I can run alternating errors

  root@ubuntu-min:~# date ; service dnsmasq start ; date
  Wed Apr  4 09:18:07 CEST 2018
  Wed Apr  4 09:18:07 CEST 2018
  root@ubuntu-min:~# date ; service dnsmasq stop ; date
  Wed Apr  4 09:18:39 CEST 2018
  Wed Apr  4 09:18:39 CEST 2018
  root@ubuntu-min:~# date ; service dnsmasq start ; date
  Wed Apr  4 09:19:10 CEST 2018
  Job for dnsmasq.service failed because a timeout was exceeded. See "systemctl
status dnsmasq.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
  Wed Apr  4 09:20:40 CEST 2018
  root@ubuntu-min:~# date ; service dnsmasq start ; date
  Wed Apr  4 09:42:57 CEST 2018
  Wed Apr  4 09:42:57 CEST 2018
  root@ubuntu-min:~# date ; service dnsmasq stop ; date
  Wed Apr  4 09:43:14 CEST 2018
  Wed Apr  4 09:43:14 CEST 2018
  root@ubuntu-min:~# date ; service dnsmasq start ; date
  Wed Apr  4 09:43:26 CEST 2018
  Job for dnsmasq.service failed because a timeout was exceeded. See "systemctl
status dnsmasq.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
  Wed Apr  4 09:44:56 CEST 2018

  and so on... Each and every 1 out of 2 stop/start cycle fails in 1m30s
  timeout

  Complete journalctl -xe output attached