Digging a bit further, I think this arises because ssh-keysign punts off
all its host key processing to openSSL, but openSSL does not support
ED25519 keys.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssh in Ubuntu.

  HostbasedAuthentication produces spurious warnings

Status in “openssh” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
  openssh-client 1:6.6p1-2ubuntu2

  We have HostbasedAuthentication set up in our environment so that
  users can ssh between equivalent hosts without a password.

  ssh_config contains (relevantly)

  HostbasedAuthentication yes
  PreferredAuthentications publickey,hostbased,password,keyboard-interactive
  EnableSSHKeysign yes

  sshd_config contains (relevantly)

  HostbasedAuthentication yes

  This works:

  ocelot:~$ ssh othermc
  othermc:~$

  However, ssh-ing as an alternative user produces additional warning
  messages before the expected password prompt:

  ocelot:~$ ssh otheruser@othermc
  no matching hostkey found
  ssh_keysign: no reply
  key_sign failed
  otheruser@othermc's password:

  If instead of relying on EnableSSHKeysign in ssh_config I make the ssh
  binary setuid:

  chmod u+s /usr/bin/ssh

  ...the extra warnings go away and I get what I expect:

  ocelot:~$ ssh otheruser@othermc
  otheruser@othermc's password:

  This makes me suspect that there may be a problem with ssh-keysign.