The verification of the Stable Release Update for initramfs-tools has
completed successfully and the package is now being released to
-updates.  Subsequently, the Ubuntu Stable Release Updates Team is being
unsubscribed and will not receive messages about this bug report.  In
the event that you encounter a regression using the package from
-updates please report a new bug using ubuntu-bug and tag the bug report
regression-update so we can easily find any regressions.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  Autopkgtest failure on latest version of initramfs-tools - lack of
  partprobe

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in initramfs-tools source package in Focal:
  Fix Released
Status in initramfs-tools source package in Groovy:

  [Impact]
  * Currently the initramfs-tools autopkgtest fails for at least AMD64, with
the following signature:
  "mount: /tmp/autopkgtest.K1r92h/build.zdS/src/mnt: special device
/dev/loop0p1 does not exist."

  * The reason for that is the test trying immediately to use that
  partition on the loop device, but kernel may not have a partition re-
  read ioctl issued, so the test may fail as observing a nonexistent
  partition.

  * The fix proposed here is just to manually run "partprobe" before
  using the new to-be-discovered loop partition in the net autopkgtest.

  [Test Case]
  * Run the autopkgtest suite in the initramfs-tools package and observe the
failure aforementioned.

  [Regression Potential]
  * Extremely low potential, we are just introducing a partition re-read/probe
operation during autopkgtest phase, in order to keep the partition table of
loop devices consistent before the test uses it.
  * The only potential issue I see with that is if for some reason we don't
have partprobe in the autopkgtest environment, but that shouldn't happen since
parted package is on ubuntu-standard.

  * Notice that this test is not executed in Debian CI given that CI has
  no support for VMs, and this test requires that. [See the
  Rectification below]