I checked the patch again on bionic, turns out I missed the packagekit
restart the first time and the package postinst script for one reason or
another didn't restart the daemon on my test machine as it did on focal.
The patch seems to work on bionic as well.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to packagekit in Ubuntu.

  Packagekit lets user install untrusted local packages in Bionic and
  Focal

Status in packagekit package in Ubuntu:

  We have packagekit configured to allow users to install trusted
  packages from preconfigured repositories, but disallowed them to
  install any untrusted packages.

  The policykit configuration we use is following:

  [tld.univ.packagekit]
  Identity=unix-group:adm;

Action=org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-install;org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-reinstall;org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-remove;org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh;org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-update;org.freedesktop.packagekit.repair-system;
  ResultAny=auth_self
  ResultActive=auth_self
  ResultInactive=auth_self

  [tld.univ.packagekit-deny]
  Identity=unix-user:*;
  Action=org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-install-untrusted;
  ResultAny=no

  We would expect this to prevent users from installing local packages
  downloaded from random repositories, however this does not seem to be
  the case.

  pkcon install-local random_package.deb will happily prompt for the
  user to authenticate and will install the package, while pkcon
  --allow-untrusted install-local random_package.deb will prompt for
  root password, which the user does not have.

  Our initial toughts was that the issue would be in packagekitd, but
  after further investigations it looks like the issue could be in aptcc
  backend.

  We are more than happy to provide you with further details, but the
  above should be enough to reproduce the issue.