>From my personal POV, I consider the progress bar more important then the
>ability to interrupt fsck with CTRL+C.
Nowadays, SSDs are much more common and enable_periodic_fsck = 0 has been the
default for many years now. So this is much less of an issue today then it was
back in 2015, I think.

I think text-only boot (without plymouth and without quiet) has a
reasonable enough progress report from fsck. Without fsckd, we'd have no
progress report in plymouth and quiet text-only boots.

  Ctrl-C message displayed without any actual disk check

Status in plymouth package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in plymouth source package in Focal:
  Confirmed
Status in systemd source package in Focal:
  Confirmed
Status in plymouth source package in Groovy:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd source package in Groovy:

  [Impact]

   * fsck messages is shown by plymouth, despite all fscks already
  completed.

  [Test Case]

   * Install Ubuntu Desktop with full disk encryption

   * Observe that fsck messages (press ctrl+c) is shown, and remains
  there on screen for a little while as plymouth transitions to gdm

   * After installing the update, observe that when fsck completes the
  messages are cleared and the transition to gdm is done without
  fsck/ctrl+c message present.

   * After this change lands in -updates, and daily desktop images are
  built with this, double check that casper-md5sum transition is also
  smooth.

  [Regression Potential]

   * plymouth spinner theme is adjusted to clear the footer, at the end
  of fsck, even if systemd-fsckd didn't do that. At the moment there are
  two consumers of the fsck apis systemd-fsckd & casper-md5sum used on
  installed systems and live-isos respectively. If something else pushes
  messages to the footer, they might get cleared at the end of fsck.

  [Other Info]

   * Original bug report

  It seems the transition to bgrt lost something with Ubuntu's disk
  check details. The only thing I see on my screen during a long disk
  check is the "press Ctrl-C to stop all in progress disk checks" with
  no progress.