This bug has been reported on the Ubuntu ISO testing tracker.

A list of all reports related to this bug can be found here:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/reports/bugs/1897273

** Tags added: iso-testing

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu.

  booting ubuntu groovy daily; display unusuable

Status in ubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:

  booting Ubuntu daily on
  dell [optiplex] 990 (i7-2600, 16gb, nvidia geforce gt 6600 gt)

  Media validation occurs as expected, passes the Ubuntu logo is as
  expected then I get a Ubuntu background type color and the session is
  now unusable

  The first display (after checks etc) occur is

  https://photos.app.goo.gl/gHgb98LTgGiWtMEw7

  If left, i'll eventually get a purple screen and cursor, however
  nothing that responds as expected.

  No usable session, but screen is there, background a solid Ubuntu
  color, with normal cursor; alas nothing more.

  By switching to a terminal,  I can check that no squashfs errors
  occurred & explore the system (including file this bug), however
  switching back gets me screens like

  https://photos.app.goo.gl/LJg4qvS7VajRny4e8

  followed by hitting CTRL+ALT+T to open a terminal and the screen
  changes to

  https://photos.app.goo.gl/PJQxSABrNwg6UNGW9

  The CTRL+ALT+T was recognized, as the terminal can be seen in the
  pinky area top left of screen, but it's not usable...

  I wonder if it's the screensaver kicking in that screws up the
  session, but I've not worked that up yet.  I've been unable to watch
  the machine the whole time so I've not worked out pattern.

  ( FYI:  this is not the first boot or attempt. This has occurred now
  three times tried (same iso, just rebooting machine).  My intention
  tonight was explore
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1897173 via
  install on this box alas I can't install with it performing like this.
  A number of QA-test installs have been run on this system today,
  Lubuntu had no issues, Xubuntu failed due 1897173 with readable
  screens )

  Package: ubuntu-desktop 1.457
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu47
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CasperVersion: 1.452