Thanks for your report. I could reproduce it, both on 20.04 and 20.10
(the latter with ibus 1.5.23).

This is probably an upstream problem, and it would be great if you could
submit an upstream issue:

https://github.com/ibus/ibus/issues/

If you do, please post the URL to the upstream issue in a comment here
for tracking purposes.

P.S. The issue was not present when I used the Thai XKB layout.

** Changed in: ibus (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ibus (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ibus in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 20.04 has no capability of surrounding-text feature

Status in ibus package in Ubuntu:

  I recently upgrade my Ubuntu LTS from 18.04 to 20.04.
  After the upgrade, I failed to type Thai text with any combining character in
some apps.
  The log contains this error message:
  `gnome-shell[2076]: (google-chrome-stable:2069): IBUS-WARNING **:
09:07:10.843: google-chrome-stable has no capability of surrounding-text
feature`
  `gnome-terminal-[2589]: gnome-terminal-server has no capability of
surrounding-text feature`

  Expected behavior: Capable of typing any Thai character in any app.
  Actual behavior: Only few apps support typing Thai character, e.g. Firefox,
Gnome Text Editor.

  Step to reproduce:
  1. Boot up the machine.
  2. Open Google Chrome.
  3. Switch keyboard layout to `Thai (LibThai)`
  4. Type Thai text "กิน" which is equals to following keystroke "dbo" but with
Thai keyboard layout.

  Current workaround:
  Whenever you want to type Thai switch
  1. Open `Gnome Text Editor`
  2. Switch keyboard layout to `Thai (LibThai)`
  3. Switch to Chrome
  4. Type Thai