Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: cryptsetup (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  update-initramfs can't handle encrypted swap-files

Status in cryptsetup package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:

  OS: Ubuntu 20.04 Mate

  I have an encrypted swap-file, which is working fine:

  # grep cryptswap /etc/fstab
  /dev/mapper/cryptswap none swap  defaults 0 0
  # grep cryptswap /etc/crypttab
  cryptswap /cryptswapfile /dev/urandom swap,cipher=aes-xts-plain64,size=256

  But everytime I update the kernel and update-initramfs is executed, an
  error occurs:

  cryptsetup: ERROR: Couldn't resolve device /cryptswapfile
  cryptsetup: WARNING: Resume target cryptswap uses a key file

  And after the next reboot, the system can't load the cryptswap while
  booting and hangs for several minutes.

  Workaround: Boot into rescue mode and wait until the loading of the
  cryptswapfile timeouts. Go to a shell and comment the lines in the
  fstab and crypttab. Execute # swapoff -a && update-initramfs -u. Now
  uncomment the lines in fstab and crypttab again and reboot. Your
  system should boot fine and you should have an encrypted swapfile.