Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: console-setup (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to console-setup in Ubuntu.

  AltGr key doesn't work properly in xfce4-terminal and gnome-terminal
  with Maori layout, and Hawaiian is not supported

Status in console-setup package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in vte package in Ubuntu:

  I just installed xfce4-xkb-plugin in order to select various keyboard
  layout. I soon found out that the AltGr key isn't working properly in
  xfce4-terminal, gnome-terminal and pterm. I am running the 64-bit
  version of xubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 on my Compaq computer, and the
  32-bit version of 12.04 on a Shuttle computer.

  Updated 2012-04-03:
  This also affects 32-bit versions of Ubuntu and Xubuntu 11.10 and 12.04
beta-2. It also affects the current Linux Mint. ALSO, note that other layouts
with AltGr now work properly when Maori is not in the list. Also I have added
lack of Hawaiian support to this bug. I am now updated to the Beta-2 version of
xubuntu on the Compaq 12.04 system, and Ubuntu 12.04 beta-2 on the shuttle.

  For example, select the Maori keyboard layout. This layout enters
  vowels with macrons like āēīōūĀĒĪŌŪ when the AltGr key is held on.
  (This does work in Firefox, which I'm using to enter this report, and
  also in xterm, but also fails in pterm. It does work in AbiWord).
  Various other layouts use AltGr, for example the US alt-intl layout
  uses AltGr plus the minus key as a dead key for entering vowels with
  macrons - those do not work under xfce4-terminal and pterm, but do
  work in various other apps. These layouts DO work with gvim, which is
  useful to me.

  When I try to enter characters with AltGr + vowel in the shell from
  xfce4-terminal (using the Maori layout), I get little diamonds with
  questions marks. In vim, I get various strange effects, but no vowels
  with macrons.

  This is the 64-bit version of xfce4-terminal:
  $ file /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal
  /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1
(SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, stripped

  Ubuntu version and kernel version
  DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
  DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.10
  DISTRIB_CODENAME=oneiric
  DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 11.10"
  Linux compaq 3.0.0-15-generic #26-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 20 17:23:00 UTC 2012
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  model name    : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
  cpu MHz               : 1000.000

  $ apt-show-versions xfce4-terminal
  xfce4-terminal/oneiric uptodate 0.4.8-1

  I don't have a computer available to try the 32-bit version of xubuntu
  11.10, unfortunately.

  BTW my main goal is to enter Hawaiian text, which also uses macrons.

  Package: xfce4-terminal 0.4.8-1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Wed Feb  8 10:56:01 2012
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release amd64 (20111012)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: xfce4-terminal
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-12-09 (61 days ago)