Public bug reported:

If I have:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"
in /etc/default/grub, boot hangs with "Failed to start Light Display Manager".
No problem, I delete the line and run update-grub.

However, running
apt upgrade
sometimes appends the line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"
to /etc/default/grub, resulting in a failed boot after upgrade. I am sure it is
appending the line to the file because the rest of the file is unchanged.
This has been happening occasionally for a long time. Most recently, it
happened when I used
do-release-upgrade
to go from 18.04 to 20.04
I guess some package thinks it is a good idea to add this option, but I don't
know which one, or how to stop it.

Package: apt 2.0.2ubuntu0.1
NonfreeKernelModules: talpa_vfshook talpa_pedconnector talpa_pedevice
talpa_vcdevice talpa_core talpa_linux talpa_syscallhook
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.10
Architecture: amd64
CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME