Apparently if I wait long enough the computer WILL regain the ability to
wake, but networking is completely broken.  And I was able to get some
logs out of it.  Here's an attachment.  Someone please assist, I lost
time at work today because my computer needs to be sleeping during
breaks and lunch, and it did cause me to loose time.  It's affecting my
pay now, so this MUST be fixed.

** Attachment added: "failednetworking.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd-shim/+bug/1389306/+attachment/4253319/+files/failednetworking.txt

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to systemd-shim in Ubuntu.

  Sleep mode frozen

Status in “systemd-shim” package in Ubuntu:

  Since systemd-shim was updated, my laptop is now unable to properly
  sleep, or wake from sleep.  It keeps going to a frozen black screen
  with a TTY style text cursor just frozen (not blinking).  Going to
  TTY1 lets me type in my username with a frozen non blinking cursor,
  but the password prompt never appears.

  Package: systemd-shim 8-1ubuntu0.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.14.7-0ubuntu8