The point for me is that we should be trying to avoid taking on
indefinite technical debt (patches that have to be rebased forever).
It's "fine" to include them ahead of any upstream schedule if we need to
for hardware enablement, but we do need to have plans to make this be a
non permanent situation. That's what Seb is asking for, and I'm totally
on board with that.

btw, I don't think it's fair to characterise code review as pedantry

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  [SRU] Bluetooth won't activate on the pi 400

Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in bluez source package in Hirsute:

  [Impact]

  Without these patches, Bluetooth is inoperable on the recently
  released Raspberry Pi 400.

  [Test Case]

  * Boot the Ubuntu Desktop for Pi image on a Pi 400.
  * Start the Settings application and switch to the Bluetooth tab
  * Verify that Bluetooth is not enabled and attempting to activate it fails
  * sudo add-apt-repository ppa:waveform/pi-bluetooth
  * sudo apt update
  * sudo apt install bluez
  * sudo reboot
  * Start the Settings application and switch to the Bluetooth tab
  * Verify that Bluetooth is active and that Bluetooth devices (e.g. mice,
mobile phones, headphones, etc.) can connect and operate correctly

  [Regression Potential]

  Extremely low (on groovy in particular, this has the same version of
  bluez as hirsute). The only significant risk is to non-Pi platforms or
  dongles which also use the Broadcom 43xx (or Cypress 305) chips for
  Bluetooth which might be inadvertently affected by these patches.

  [Original Description]

  The new Pi 400 has a slightly different Wifi/BT chip to the Pi4.
  Whilst wifi works happily, Bluetooth fails to operate. This doesn't
  appear to be an issue with either the firmware (the latest versions
  from upstream Raspbian have been tried), or the kernel (a known-good
  raspi kernel has been tested under Ubuntu), but with Bluez itself.
  Specifically, tracing the initialization with btmon on Raspbian and
  Ubuntu, the stack consistently fails when attempting to "Set Default
  PHY" on the latter. Curiously, under Ubuntu the adapter also appears
  to lack a MAC address.