I tested groovy again, but this time I installed apport and
python3-apport in one step instead of two and it passed without needing
to reboot.

The verification on Focal also passed with no rebooting required.

bdmurray@clean-focal-amd64:~$ apt list apport
Listing... Done
apport/focal-proposed,focal-proposed,now 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.13 all [installed]
N: There are 2 additional versions. Please use the '-a' switch to see them.
bdmurray@clean-focal-amd64:~$ sudo pkill -11 upowerd
bdmurray@clean-focal-amd64:~$ ls /var/crash/
_usr_lib_upower_upowerd.0.crash

** Tags removed: verification-needed verification-needed-focal
verification-needed-groovy
** Tags added: verification-done verification-done-focal
verification-done-groovy

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  systemd ProtectSystem/mount namespace makes apport fail (impact most
  of our default system services)

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in apport source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in bluez source package in Focal:
  Invalid
Status in apport source package in Groovy:
  Fix Committed
Status in bluez source package in Groovy:
  Invalid
Status in apport source package in Hirsute:
  Fix Released
Status in bluez source package in Hirsute:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  apport is not creating crash files for multiple system services that use
ProtectSystem since Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

  [Test Case]
  On an Ubuntu desktop system perform the following step
  1) sudo pkill -11 upowerd

  With the current version of apport there will not be a crash file for
  upowerd in /var/crash/. With the version of apport in -proposed there
  will be a crash file for upowerd in /var/crash/.

  [Regression Potential]
  In the event that the changes to /usr/share/apport/apport are bad then apport
itself would crash thereby preventing us from getting any crash reports. So in
addition to killing upowerd we should also test a regular application like
xeyes.

  [Original Description]
  bluetoothd never leaves dumps/crash files when it crashes

  And it seems this is true for everyone. Only supplementary binaries' crash
reports are shown:
  https://errors.ubuntu.com/?release=Ubuntu%2020.04&package=bluez&period=year