A second restart did clear it, so it may be a race in some kind of
display layer management somewhere, or something to that effect.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Update-notifier window invisible in utopic

Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  Somehow I ended up with update-notifier not being visible on my utopic
  laptop.  I can see it in the dock on the left, and I can interact with
  it that way (right-clicking to choose "install available software"),
  and I can even close it out from there.  But I cannot cause its main
  window to appear on any desktop.

  Rebooting does not clear this problem, and it happens even with the
  reboot notifications.

  Package: update-notifier 3.157
  ApportVersion: 2.14.7-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: amd64