The problem is still present in Ubuntu 20.10 :(

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  MacBook Air 6,2 TRRS Headset Mic Not Working

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  I'm running Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 on a new MacBookAir6,2 with the Cirrus
  Logic CS4208 and would love to get the microphone part of the TRRS
  connector working. Mac OS picks up and utilizes the TRRS headset mic
  without issue so I know the hardware is a go.

  With the headset plugged in, running sudo hdajacksensetest -a results
  in:

  Pin 0x05 ( Digital Out, HDMI): present = No
  Pin 0x06 ( Digital Out, HDMI): present = No
  Pin 0x07 ( Digital Out, HDMI): present = No

  AlsaInfo output here:
  http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=cabc8cab44d308c8a3898c66d48d9be4fc5ccf83

  I opened up hdajackretask to find four pins:
  Green Headphone
  Pin ID: 0x10
  Headphone

  Internal Speaker
  Pin ID: 0x12
  Internal speaker

  Pink Mic
  Pin ID: 0x18
  Not connected

  Internal Mic
  Pin ID: 0x1c
  Internal mic

  Unplugging and replugging the headset changes the Output device in
  sound settings from Headphones to Speakers so that works, but nothing
  in the input tab ever changes. It always lists two devices: Internal
  Microphone and Microphone. Both of these seem to actually be the
  internal microphone in the mac - either works without the headset
  connected at all.

  So I'm not really sure how to proceed from here, but I'd be happy to
  run whatever diagnostic tests might prove useful and/or even
  contribute code toward a fix - but I just have no idea where to start.
  Is it as simple as just finding the right pin and telling the system
  to use it as a microphone?

  Similar bug report here:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/950494