@sampie thanks, I marked that as the upstream bug for this.

For the upstream PR that fixes this:
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/17631

If I'm reading that correctly, that won't actually fix this (the mount
will still fail), and it won't add any log messages indicating the
actual underlying problem (missing known_hosts ssh key), it will just
avoid the repeated mount attempts, right?

I haven't tested the fix myself, just trying to understand if it's
"enough" to backport, or if more is needed, either to backport and/or
fix upstream. It seems like "fully" fixing this (i.e. adding the remote
host key to known_hosts) isn't really something that should be done
automatically, since the whole point of asking the user to confirm the
host key is because the system can't know if the host key is correct, or
a MITM attack. Probably the "best" that could be done, besides existing
upstream patch, is to log a message indicating that sshfs failed and
possibly include some sshfs detail so users understand what the actual
problem is?

  "Too many levels of symbolic links” error when using systemd to mount
  sshfs

Status in systemd:
  Unknown
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I have asked question at askubuntu about "Too many levels of symbolic
  links” error when trying to use systemd to mount sshfs
  (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1286375/too-many-levels-of-symbolic-
  links-error-when-using-systemd)

  I have not got any responses, so I am submitting a bug report. If this
  is not a bug, please advice how to mount sshfs share with systemd.

  Package: systemd 245.4-4ubuntu3.2
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.10
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Nov  4 16:17:04 2020
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" - Release amd64 (20191017)
  MachineType: LENOVO 81H1
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-5.4.0-52-generic
root=UUID=7f92666a-65f8-485e-b998-046c2c596aa5 ro rootflags=subvol=@ quiet
splash vt.handoff=7
  SourcePackage: systemd
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-03-28 (220 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 08/17/2018
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: 8PCN45WW
  dmi.board.asset.tag: NO Asset Tag
  dmi.board.name: LNVNB161216
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: SDK0J40700 WIN
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: NO Asset Tag
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Lenovo ideapad 530S-14ARR
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr8PCN45WW:bd08/17/2018:svnLENOVO:pn81H1:pvrLenovoideapad530S-14ARR:rvnLENOVO:rnLNVNB161216:rvrSDK0J40700WIN:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrLenovoideapad530S-14ARR:
  dmi.product.family: ideapad 530S-14ARR
  dmi.product.name: 81H1
  dmi.product.sku: LENOVO_MT_81H1_BU_idea_FM_ideapad 530S-14ARR
  dmi.product.version: Lenovo ideapad 530S-14ARR
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO