This is a systemd/udev bug. We're aware of the CONTAINER_INTERFACE and
it being wrong doesn't mean we need to change LXD to make it similarly
wrong.

LXD containers need to have udevd running to function properly, so you'll need
to undo that change.
If there is a bug in how udevd now behaves, that's what needs to be fixed and
we can assist you with that.

** Changed in: lxd (Ubuntu)

  NetworkManager-wait-online.service in 1.28.0-2ubuntu1 fails to start
  in LXC

Status in lxd package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  This regresses systemd's autopkgtest because it expects the system in
  the container to reach running state, but the system ends up in
  degraded state due to the service failing.

https://objectstorage.prodstack4-5.canonical.com/v1/AUTH_77e2ada1e7a84929a74ba3b87153c0ac/autopkgtest-hirsute/hirsute/amd64/s/systemd/20210112_185712_ff570@/log.gz

  FAIL: test_no_failed (__main__.ServicesTest)
  No failed units
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File
"/tmp/autopkgtest.fFC3Lw/build.xLc/real-tree/debian/tests/boot-and-services",
line 68, in test_no_failed
      self.assertEqual(failed, [])
  AssertionError: Lists differ: ['● NetworkManager-wait-online.service loa[42
chars]ine'] != []

  First list contains 1 additional elements.
  First extra element 0:
  '● NetworkManager-wait-online.service loaded failed failed Network Manager
Wait Online'

  + []
  - ['● NetworkManager-wait-online.service loaded failed failed Network Manager
'
  -  'Wait Online']