I'm on a dual screen with 4k and 2.7k (Surface pro 4) intel graphical
chipset, i7 with 4 cores.

On a 20.04, using gnome-shell over Xorg, gnome-shell proc usage jumps
from 0-3% to 40-60% usage when using indicator-multiload.

gnome-shell over Wayland will have same issue, with an added visible
mouse stuttering problem.

interestingly, I've installed unity7 (with ubuntu-unity-desktop 0.2),
and this doesn't occur on unity as dramatically: it goes from 2-4%
without indicator-multiload to 6-8%. This makes it totally usable on
unity.

indicator-multiload   0.4-0ubuntu5
gnome-shell           3.36.4-1ubuntu1~20.04.2
compiz-core           1:0.9.14.1+20.04.20200211-0ubuntu1

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libindicator in Ubuntu.

  CPU usage increases dramatically (and visible stuttering) when running
  indicator-multiload

Status in libindicator:
  Fix Committed
Status in The Ubuntu Power Consumption Project:
Status in gnome-shell-extension-appindicator package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in indicator-multiload package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in libindicator package in Ubuntu:

  using 0.1-0~5~natty1 on mostly up to date natty system, when running
  the indicator-multiload with with just cpu monitor and the default
  update interval of 500 milliseconds, I see (via top) that compiz usage
  when generally idle goes from either 0 or 1% of CPU to 3 or 4% of CPU.
  Reducing the update interval does seem to have an affect.

  I realize that
  a.) top is not scientific
  b.) there could be something I'm missing here
  c.) saying "300%" (in the subject) is not scientific