** Attachment added: "list of packages upgraded today from dpkg.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lvm2/+bug/1917515/+attachment/5471986/+files/upgraded.txt

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lvm2 in Ubuntu.

  System doesn't boot (root device never becomes available after
  entering encryption passphrase) after today's Hirsute updates

Status in lvm2 package in Ubuntu:

  Note: I'm guessing that lvm2 is the most likely culprit for this
  issue, but I don't know for certain.

  After today's Hirsute upgrades, my system won't boot. The boot gets to
  the point where it asks me for the passphrase for my encrypted root
  disk, and I enter it, and then it says that it was unlocked
  successfully, and then it spins for a while, and then I get the
  message shown in the attached photo.

  When I reboot with the older pre-Hirsute kernel (5.8.0-43-generic) I
  have installed the system boots successfully, but I don't think this
  is a kernel issue per se since I didn't upgrade the kernel today and
  my system has rebooted successfully before with the Hirsute kernel I
  currently have installed.

  Note: the two kernel messages shown at the beginning of the photo are
  not relevant; they occur even when I fall back to the old kernel and
  boot successfully.

  Attached: photo of console from failed boot, list of packages that
  were upgraded today.

  Package: lvm2 2.03.11-2ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu59
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Mar  2 14:22:26 2021
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" - Release amd64
(20181017.3)
  SourcePackage: lvm2
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to hirsute on 2021-02-21 (9 days ago)