Hello Etienne, or anyone else affected,

Accepted systemd into bionic-proposed. The package will build now and be
available at
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/237-3ubuntu10.45 in a few
hours, and then in the -proposed repository.

Please help us by testing this new package.  See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation on how
to enable and use -proposed.  Your feedback will aid us getting this
update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug,
mentioning the version of the package you tested, what testing has been
performed on the package and change the tag from verification-needed-
bionic to verification-done-bionic. If it does not fix the bug for you,
please add a comment stating that, and change the tag to verification-
failed-bionic. In either case, without details of your testing we will
not be able to proceed.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification .  Thank you in
advance for helping!

N.B. The updated package will be released to -updates after the bug(s)
fixed by this package have been verified and the package has been in
-proposed for a minimum of 7 days.

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu Bionic)

** Tags added: verification-needed verification-needed-bionic

  'systemd --user' unduly forces umask=0022

Status in gedit:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-session:
  Invalid
Status in GNOME Terminal:
  Confirmed
Status in Nautilus:
  Invalid
Status in systemd:
  Unknown
Status in dbus package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in dbus source package in Bionic:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-terminal source package in Bionic:
  Invalid
Status in systemd source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  [impact]

  pam_umask, from /etc/passwd, is not honored in systemd --user
  instances

  [test case]

  on a desktop system, edit /etc/passwd to change the test user entry
  (e.g. the 'ubuntu' user) to include 'umask=007' in the GECOS field
  (5th field). For example change:

  ubuntu:x:1000:1000:Ubuntu:/home/ubuntu:/bin/bash

  to:

  ubuntu:x:1000:1000:Ubuntu,umask=007:/home/ubuntu:/bin/bash

  You may need to reboot for your X session to pick up the change.

  Then, from the graphical desktop, open a terminal and run:

  $ gnome-terminal -e sh

  in the opened terminal, run:

  $ umask

  the number shown should be 0007, as set in the passwd file

  [regression potential]

  any regression would likely result in an incorrect umask for the user
  whose passwd entry is modified.

  [scope]

  this is needed only for b

  this is fixed in systemd upstream by commit
  5e37d1930b41b24c077ce37c6db0e36c745106c7 which was first included in
  v246, so this is fixed in g and later. This commit was also picked up
  by Debian and included in the v245 release for focal, so this is fixed
  in focal already.

  [original description]

  In order to set the default umask of my users to 027 or 007, I
  followed the instructions provided in 'man pam_umask' :

  In the 'gecos' field of '/etc/passwd', I have inserted 'umask=027' or
  'umask=007' (for myself).

  Then, MOST graphical applications systematically run with the correct
  umask.

  In particular, when I press Alt-F2, run 'xterm sh' and type 'umask',
  it systematically displays 0007.

  But when I press Alt-F2, run 'gnome-terminal -e sh' and type 'umask',
  it systematically displays 0022.

  That is BAD, and is a security issue.

  Workaround :  Inside the newly created '/etc/profile.d/umask.sh', and in each
'~/.bashrc', add following content :
  UMASK="$(grep  -o  "^$USER:.*,umask=0[0-7]*"  /etc/passwd)"
  if  [ "$UMASK" ];  then
    umask  "${UMASK#$USER:*,umask=}"
  fi

  In fact, 'gnome-terminal' MUST NOT force umask=022, but keep umask
  unchanged.

  Thank you in advance for a quick correction.

  Package: gnome-terminal 3.20.2-1ubuntu8
  ApportVersion: 2.20.4-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: X-Cinnamon