Public bug reported:

[Impact]
Merge request https://salsa.debian.org/apt-team/apt/-/merge_requests/159 has a
bunch of fixes for empty pdiff files, cleaning up pdiff files, as well as
correcting some bugs with index files in the mirror method.

While we don't use pdiffs ourselves, third party repositories might, and
people might want to use rred on Ubuntu to create merged pdiff files,
and hence benefit from those patches, so we want to backport it to 2.0,
such that it is not more buggy than Debian's 1.8 and forces you to run
Debian if you want to do those things.

[Test plan]
Each commit comes with a change to the test suite that tests it, and the test
suite is fairly exhaustive too.

[Where problems could occur]
Changes are limited to adding headers to Index file downloads (so that mirror
works correctly), and pdiff-specific code, so problems could occur with mirror
method or pdiff.

** Affects: apt (Ubuntu)

** Affects: apt (Ubuntu Focal)

** Affects: apt (Ubuntu Groovy)

** Affects: apt (Ubuntu Hirsute)

** Also affects: apt (Ubuntu Focal)

** Also affects: apt (Ubuntu Hirsute)

** Also affects: apt (Ubuntu Groovy)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Deal with rred shortcomings around empty patch files

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in apt source package in Focal:
  Won't Fix
Status in apt source package in Groovy:
  Won't Fix
Status in apt source package in Hirsute: