This is a very old bug report and mountall is no longer part of the
Ubuntu boot process on any supported Ubuntu desktop releases.  It is
therefore not constructive to ask your question here.  Please either
file a new bug report if you believe there is a bug in Ubuntu, or ask
your question in one of the various Ubuntu support forums such as
AskUbuntu.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to util-linux in Ubuntu.

  boot process isn't paused while fsck runs on partition: boot process
  is completed with fsck running in the background preventing partition
  from mounting

Status in Release Notes for Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in mountall package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in util-linux package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: usplash

  I had a problem mounting my /dev/sdb1 partition the last couple of
  times after booting up Ubuntu. I got the following error when trying
  to mount the partition:

  mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /media/data busy

  so I tried issuing the following command and I could see that fsck was
  running in the background, without having notified me, checking
  /dev/sdb1, and not while showing the splash screen and a progress bar
  like it usually does:

  rune@runescomp:~$ sudo fuser -m /dev/sdb1
  /dev/sdb1:             804
  rune@runescomp:~$ ps aux | grep 804
  root       804  5.0  3.4  72528 71164 ?        D    21:29   0:50 fsck.ext3 -a
/dev/sdb1

  rune@runescomp:~/Desktop$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      9.10

  rune@runescomp:~/Desktop$ apt-cache policy usplash