[Expired for xorg-server (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for
60 days.]

** Changed in: xorg-server (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  [radeon] Failure to pass system check and present login screen

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  Expired
Status in unity-greeter package in Ubuntu:
  Expired
Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  I'm reporting this against xorg, because of where the problem occurs,
  as indicated below, I can't tell if the problem is with xorg, lightdm
  or light-locker. The system is a Dell Optiplex 745 single-booting to
  Xubuntu 20.04 up-to-date as of today.

  I replaced one of 2 monitors, the one rotated to portrait orientation, with a
higher resolution monitor. Started the system, logged in as another user and
changed the desktop background however, when I then logged out and restarted
the system, it behaved normally until it displayed the usual
  /dev/sda1: clean, xxxxx/xxxxx files, xxxx/xxxxx blocks
  on both monitors. The prompt remained for a few seconds, slowly blinked off
and on 6 times, and then remained with no further activity. The system works
fine if I boot from a Xubuntu 18.04 DVD (I didn't have a 20.04 DVD, and this is
the only machine with a burner). On another machine, I determined that the
system was booting, because the machine was visible on the network, and its
shared folders were accessible.

  I could get to a login prompt and log on using Alt+F1 to F6. Alt-F7
  returned me to the file system check prompt. I was able to start xorg
  after logging on with startx, and changing all settings for the new
  monitor, everything worked normally until logging out, which of course
  returned me to the command line where I had given the command startx.

  If I log out requesting a restart, the system reboots, but still stops at the
same place every time. That behavior hadn't changed the next day. I can use the
machine, but only by selecting a terminal, logging as myself or the other user
and giving the startx command. I have been unable to find anything on the
Internet that corrects the problem. Since the problem first started, two
crashes have occurred and I allowed them to be reported; however, they were
light-locker crashes. I reinstalled lightdm and light-locker, but that made no
difference. I installed gdm3, which works fine, but switching back to lightdm
with:
  sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3
  sudo dpkg --configure lightdm
  resulted in:
  dpkg: error processing package lightdm (--configure):
   package lightdm is already installed and configured
   lightdm

  So I can't really be sure if the problem is with xorg, lightdm or
  light-locker, but since there are no error messages and everything
  else works fine, it's clearly a bug, if a strange one. I do not relish
  the idea of having to reinstall Xubuntu; so for the time being, I'll
  use gdm3, though I prefer lightdm's ability to properly display
  backdrops and use the two monitors properly extended (with gdm3, the
  mouse moves down the left portrait monitor before moving onto the
  right monitor where gdm3 sees fit to put the logon dialog). The next
  thing I'll try is autoremoving lightdm rebooting a few times and then
  reinstalling it...

  Because of the absence of error messages and information even
  suggesting why X isn't starting, I have no idea what other information
  about my system might be useful to you, but if you need something
  additional, I'll try to provide it.

  Package: xorg 1:7.7+19ubuntu14
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.14
  Architecture: amd64
  BootLog: Error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/log/boot.log'
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CompositorRunning: None
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE