This bug was fixed in the package apt - 2.1.10ubuntu0.3

---------------
apt (2.1.10ubuntu0.3) groovy; urgency=medium

  [ David Kalnischkies ]
  * Fix incorrect base64 encoding due to int promotion (LP: #1916050)
  * Harden test for no new acquires after transaction abort (Closes: #984966)
    (LP: #1918920)

  [ Julian Andres Klode ]
  * Implement update --error-on=any (Closes: #594813) (LP: #1693900)
  * Include all translations when building the cache (LP: #1907850)
  * Do not require force-loopbreak on Protected packages (Closes: #983014)
    (LP: #1916725)
  * RunScripts: Do not reset SIGQUIT and SIGINT to SIG_DFL (LP: #1898026)
  * Protect currently running kernel at run-time (LP: #1615381)
  * Make ADDARG{,C}() macros expand to single statements

 -- Julian Andres Klode <juli...@ubuntu.com>  Fri, 12 Mar 2021 09:22:11
+0100

** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu Groovy)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  apt-get update should return exit code != 0 on error

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in apt source package in Xenial:
  Confirmed
Status in apt source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in apt source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in apt source package in Groovy:
  Fix Released
Status in apt package in Debian:

  [Impact]
  There is no way for scripts to run apt update and be sure that it was
entirely successful.

  We introduce a new flag, --error-on=any that makes apt update also
  error out on transient errors.

  [Test plan]
  We have included a test in the test-suite in
test-apt-update-failure-propagation that ensures that warnings become errors.

  [Where problems could occur]
  If there's an issue some warnings for transient errors could become errors,
or worse I suppose it's possible but unlikely for errors to be reported as
warnings...

  Since the new behavior is behind a flag, regression potential for
  existing scripts is low if there is no bug.

  [Original bug report]

  When running 'apt-get update' (e.g. on a container install post-
  install script), apt-get return with exit code 0, even so it wasn't
  able to "update" properly. E.g.:

  + apt-get update
  Err:1 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
    Temporary failure resolving 'de.archive.ubuntu.com'
  Err:2 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease
    Temporary failure resolving 'security.ubuntu.com'
  Err:3 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease
    Temporary failure resolving 'de.archive.ubuntu.com'
  Reading package lists... Done
  W: Failed to fetch http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial/InRelease
 Temporary failure resolving 'de.archive.ubuntu.com'
  W: Failed to fetch
http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-updates/InRelease  Temporary
failure resolving 'de.archive.ubuntu.com'
  W: Failed to fetch
http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-security/InRelease  Temporary
failure resolving 'security.ubuntu.com'
  W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.

  It should be corrected to return useful exit code, so that scripts can
  take the appropriate actions ...