** Description changed:

- When a user is logged in to the Ubuntu desktop, a power button event
- will cause the user to be prompted to choose if they'd like to proceed
- with a shutdown. However, if the system is sitting at a greeter screen,
- a power button event will instead attempt a suspend w/o prompting. This
- is due to a different set of defaults for the greeter and the user:
+ [Impact]
+ When a user is logged in to the Ubuntu desktop, a power button event will
cause the user to be prompted to choose if they'd like to proceed with a
shutdown. However, if the system is sitting at a greeter screen, a power button
event will instead attempt a suspend w/o prompting. This is due to a different
set of defaults for the greeter and the user.
+ This is a fix for this, aligning all power actions between the greeter
behaviour and the user session one on the user session.
+
+ [Test Plan]
+ 1. Install new package and reboot
+ 2. On the greeter screen (gdm), press the physical power button of your
machine.
+ 3. You should be now prompted about what to do, like shutdown. You can
dismiss it.
+ 4. Clicking on the physical suspend button should suspend the machine
immediatly.
+
+ [Where problems could occur]
+ We change the scope of when we applied those settings: we were only applying
them to the GNOME session ran by the user, and it will now be applied as
default to the GNOME session ran by gdm.
+ Impacts is thus limited to the greeter screen.
+
+
+ Diff is available on this commit:
https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-settings/commit/?h=focal&id=ca2f9aa9b03862ff044b64d7ef9506ca87e3dd89
+
+ ------
+ Original report content:

  For a logged-in desktop user, they
  see:

  $ gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power
  power-button-action 'interactive'

  But the gdm user sees:
  $ sudo machinectl shell gdm@ /bin/bash
  Connected to the local host. Press ^] three times within 1s to exit session.
  gdm:~$ gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power
power-button-action
  'suspend'

  Changing the gdm user's setting to "interactive" using gsettings causes
  the greeter to begin prompting, consistent with the logged in user
  experience.

** Changed in: ubuntu-settings (Ubuntu Focal)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-settings in Ubuntu.

  power-button action inconsistent between user session and greeter

Status in ubuntu-settings package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-settings source package in Focal:
  Triaged
Status in ubuntu-settings source package in Hirsute:

  [Impact]

  ------