** Tags added: fr-1344

  ideally should boot rootfs from a matching hard drive

Status in cloud-images:
  New
Status in grub2 package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in u-boot package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in u-boot-menu package in Ubuntu:

  Ideally we should strive to boot rootfs from a matching hard drive.

  I.e. if we are booting rootfs by UUID, we should try to find the one
  that came from the same drive as where ESP (UEFI) came from, or u-boot
  spl / u-boot got loaded from (loader1/loader2).

  Such that for example, when booted from external usb stick, rootfs
  from there is mounted.

  Or when booted from internal drive whilst a dd backup is attached over
  usb, rootfs is loaded from the internal drive not from the usb
  attached backup.

  This would need:

  * u-boot to export the drive it loaded extlinux.conf / bootscript
  from, and pass it on kernel command line

  * grub to export the device UUID it got loaded from (from the
  BootServices EFI table) and pass it on the kernel command line or via
  runtime EFI variable

  * sdboot already does that I believe, but not sure if initramfs-tools
  consumes the sdboot provided information

  * initramfs-tools to consume above and sort the discovered devices
  based on that, when deciding what to mount as rootfs