Hello Rasmus, or anyone else affected,

Accepted initramfs-tools into groovy-proposed. The package will build
now and be available at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-
tools/0.137ubuntu12.1 in a few hours, and then in the -proposed
repository.

Please help us by testing this new package.  See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation on how
to enable and use -proposed.  Your feedback will aid us getting this
update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug,
mentioning the version of the package you tested, what testing has been
performed on the package and change the tag from verification-needed-
groovy to verification-done-groovy. If it does not fix the bug for you,
please add a comment stating that, and change the tag to verification-
failed-groovy. In either case, without details of your testing we will
not be able to proceed.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification .  Thank you in
advance for helping!

N.B. The updated package will be released to -updates after the bug(s)
fixed by this package have been verified and the package has been in
-proposed for a minimum of 7 days.

** Changed in: initramfs-tools (Ubuntu Focal)

** Tags added: verification-needed-focal

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  Could not resume from hibernation when swap is specified as device

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in initramfs-tools source package in Bionic:
  In Progress
Status in initramfs-tools source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in initramfs-tools source package in Groovy:
  Fix Committed
Status in initramfs-tools source package in Hirsute:

  [impact]

  unable to resume from hibernation when resume= boot param is specified
  as device path

  [test case]

  set up device/partition for swap, e.g. /dev/vda2

  add 'resume=/dev/vda2' kernel boot parameter

  hibernate

  power system back on; it should resume from /dev/vda2 instead of
  coldboot

  [regression potential]

  any regression would likely result in failure to correctly resume from
  hibernation, incorrectly attempting to resume from hibernation, or
  failing to resume from hibernation.

  [scope]

  this is needed in b/f/g/h

  this bug was introduced, ironically, by bug 1644975, which was added
  in bionic, so this bug doesn't exist in xenial.

  this code that introduced this bug isn't included in Debian, so no
  change is needed there.

  [original description]

  I originally experienced this on Pop!_OS but I have reproduced it on a
  freshly installed Ubuntu.

  1. Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
  2. initramfs-tools-core 0.136ubuntu6
  3. I expect the system to resume from hibernation when running pm_hibernate
  4. The system starts up anew when I try to resume

  I have setup a swap partition on /dev/vda2 in /etc/fstab. To enable
  hibernate I added the kernel parameter "resume=/dev/vda2" to
  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and run update-grub.

  From debugging initramfs it tries to follow a symbolic link

  DEV=$(readlink "$resume")
  (see /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-premount/resume, line 35)

  which works well when swap is specified with uuid. When swap is
  specified as a device directly the readlink returns an empty string
  and the system does not resume from hibernation.

  To verify this I added the parameter -f to readlink and run "update-
  initramfs -u". The system now hibernates successfully.

  Package: initramfs-tools 0.136ubuntu6
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun May  3 13:26:02 2020
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200423)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: initramfs-tools