I've found on 14.10, if you enable the shortcut in CCSM and then disable
it, that effectively disables it. However, I've also found each distro
release re-enables this annoying shortcut, even if it's marked as
disabled.

This speaks to underlying issues in the Compiz keyboard shortcuts
system, or in how Ubuntu is deploying the unity prefs. Something here
isn't respecting user prefs on upgrade, and isn't correctly representing
the current settings in the settings interface.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Alt-Backtick Keyboard Shortcut Can Not Be Disabled

Status in Unity:
  Confirmed
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  The 'Alt-Backtick' shortcut for the app switcher is interfering with
  my other applications. How can I disable this without disabling all of
  Unity?

  The Atl-Backtick key combination is commonly used in Emacs, Emacs is
  rendered unusable with Unity intercepting this key combo.