The SRU of systemd for Hirsute (and all its accompanying bugs) looks
good to me, but I'd like to see this fix merged for Impish at least per
SRU policy.

  missing EDNS0 record confuses systemd-resolved

Status in systemd:
  Fix Released
Status in dnsmasq package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in dnsmasq source package in Bionic:
  Triaged
Status in systemd source package in Bionic:
  In Progress
Status in dnsmasq source package in Focal:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd source package in Focal:
  In Progress
Status in dnsmasq source package in Groovy:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd source package in Groovy:
  In Progress
Status in dnsmasq source package in Hirsute:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd source package in Hirsute:
  In Progress
Status in dnsmasq source package in Impish:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd source package in Impish:

  [Impact]
  dnsmasq 2.79 and below omits EDNS0 OPT records when returning an empty answer
for a domain it is authoritative for. systemd-resolved seems to get confused by
this in certain circumstances; when using the stub resolver and requesting an
address for which there are no AAAA records, there can sometimes be a five
second hang in resolution.

  [Fix]
  This is fixed by upstream commit
http://thekelleys.org.uk/gitweb/?p=dnsmasq.git;a=commit;h=1682d15a744880b0398af75eadf68fe66128af78

  Not sure if it is worth cherry picking? I imagine the most likely
  trigger will be dnsmasq on routers which are not likely to be running
  Ubuntu, but maybe just in case.

  I also think there are some logic issues in systemd-resolved, upstream
  bug filed:

  [Test Case]
  Simple-ish test case for bionic:

  ---
  IFACE=dummy0
  SUBNET=10.0.0

  ip link add $IFACE type dummy
  ifconfig $IFACE ${SUBNET}.1/24
  dnsmasq -h -R -d -C /dev/null -2 $IFACE -z -i $IFACE -I lo
--host-record=test.test,${SUBNET}.1 --server=/test/ &

  dig -t a test.test @10.0.0.1 | grep EDNS
  # should return "; EDNS ..."
  dig -t aaaa test.test @10.0.0.1 | grep EDNS
  # again, should return "; EDNS ..." but doesn't
  ---

  To reproduce the systemd-resolved side of the problem

  ---
  # as above, but
  # now configure systemd-resolved to look at only 10.0.0.1, then

  systemd-resolve --reset-server-features
  # should exhibit five second delay then connect, assuming sshd is running :)
  ssh test.test
  ---

  More detailed test case for focal and later:

  install dnsmasq on a bionic system and start it, listening to an
  interface that is externally reachable, e.g. for a normal libvirt vm
  with interface name 'ens3':

  IFACE=ens3
  dnsmasq -h -R -d -C /dev/null -2 $IFACE -z -i $IFACE -I lo
--host-record=test.test,1.2.3.4 --server=/test/

  note that the '1.2.3.4' address doesn't matter, any addr is ok.

  then setup a test system that can reach the dnsmasq system, and
  configure networkd to use the dnsmasq server, e.g. using config like:

  [Match]
  Name=ens3

  [Network]
  DHCP=yes
  DNS=DNSMASQ_IP_ADDRESS
  Domains=test

  [DHCPv4]
  UseDNS=no
  UseDomains=no

  replace 'DNSMASQ_IP_ADDRESS' with the addr of the bionic system where
  dnsmasq is running, and replace 'ens3' with whatever the test system
  interface name is. Then restart systemd-networkd, and test:

  systemd-resolve --reset-server-features
  systemd-resolve --flush-caches
  host test.test

  The lookup using 'host' should complete immediately;.

  [Discussion]
  Package: dnsmasq-base 2.79-1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sat Aug  4 11:33:56 2018
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180426)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)